Wednesday, March 3, 2010

So much to learn

So, after being here for a 1 1/2 months and approaching two months, I have realized that I have been learning quite a bit. About myself, about others, about the Church, and about G-d. It's been amazing thus far, and I truly only expect it to get better. I find, however, the more I learn, the less I know. Which has been the case through my years so far at College and what not, but to be honest, here I am finding that I am learning the simple truths in life. I want to briefly share with you my experience just last night.

I had the privilege of going out to a slum last night and having fellowship with the people there. It was my first time to this particular slum, so I was quite excited. When we got there, I was told, "Tonight we are meeting in the hut." I thought sure, sounds good, I don't mind huts. Then as we pulled up I saw the hut, and I was like where is the door. Then it dawned on me, cause I am so fast and bright, that the two- three foot hole was the door. The man who was taking me for the visit looked back and said, "We have to humble ourselves by bowing down and crawling into the hut." We laughed, and I didn't think much of it.

So I walk up, get down on my hands and knees and crawled into the hut. I got inside and sat down on this little wooden bed. The next thing I know there were almost 30 people crammed into this tiny little room. It was barely lit, and I could hardly even make out the features of anyone's face. It was also hot in there. At least 100 degrees. Let me just say, a flannel shirt and 100 degree weather don't go well together. As the people began to sing and pr-y, I was moved. I have never heard such a small group of people sing so loudly or beautifully. They were just worshipping our Heavenly Father with all that they had. We met our Creator in the hut, and it was overwhelming.

I began to think about the truth that the man had told me, and the simplicity to it all. I had to crawl on my hands and knees, out of humility, to find the presence of G-d. Wow. I immediately began to think, how often do I truly crawl to the presence of G-d? Those people did last night. They humbly brought what they had to the foot of the Cross. It was unreal. And, I was also privileged to share with them my testimony. I never would have thought that when I was a little kid accepting J-sus to be my Savior, that I would find myself in the middle of India sharing my story. It is so humbling.

I know this post is long, but this is my challenge to you this week. Crawl to G-d. Even if you feel like you are doing great, and all is well. Crawl to Him. Because it is when we humble ourselves in that manner, that we truly can meet Him. It is a powerful place.

2 comments:

  1. THis is awesome, Hughie!I'm glad these experiences are being used to bring you humility. How long are you going to be there in total?

    ReplyDelete