Tuesday, February 16, 2010

1 month


I can't believe it has been two weeks since I blogged last. That's crazy to me. It feels like just yesterday I wrote that last entry. To be honest, that is how this whole trip has felt. As of a couple days ago, I have been here for 1 month now. Man, I can't believe that. At this point I have 5 1/2 months left to love the people here to the best of my ability. It is going by so quickly.

Ok, as for my blog this week, I just wanted to share something that has helped me, and that has been on my heart...

When I look around at the world I am living in, I see a lot of pain, suffering, oppression, poverty, hunger, and overall hopelessness. I have seen people begging naked on the streets. People I know here, that are my friends make $2 a day, on a good day. It is so overwhelming. And quite frankly, sometimes it makes me wonder what all I can do. The situation seems to bleak or to big to tackle it all. However in those moments I am reminded of this simple but true story.


"There were millions of starfish washed up on shore. All of the starfish are going to die, unless somehow and some way they can get back into the water. So, there was an old man who wanted to help. So he began, one by one, throwing the starfish back into the ocean. He would work at it all day and all night, and would go up and down the ocean shore throwing starfish back in the water. One day, he was approached by a stranger, and they asked him, 'Why are you doing this? There are billions of starfish out there. You will never save all of them. What good is it then?' The old man then proceeded to bend down and pickup a starfish, he lifted it up and said, 'Because to this one...it makes a difference."

How true that story is...when I feel overwhelmed or helpless, I remember that to those that I come in contact with, to that one child from Pipe village, to that one person without any hope, I must help show them the Love of our Creator to the best of my abilities. I won't stop poverty...but to that one child that I can help our for my time here, well to them, it makes a difference.

4 comments:

  1. I love that story. It's a good one. :)
    Hope everything's been going well for you. We all really miss you out here, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for sure! You are definitely making a difference there Hughseph! Keep it up. We miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WORD. :) I love it friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you tons Hughster and miss seeing you. Thinking fo you often and again so proud of the work you are doing. EVERY life matters, thank you for using yours to share that truth.

    ReplyDelete