I know that it has been quite a while since my last blog, and the reason for that is because I really didn't know what to write. Things here have slowed down quite a bit, and so I didn't want to just write, "Well, this week was the same ole same ole." So, for your sake, I won't. A quick note, I will be traveling for the next 8 days, then back here for 2, then traveling for 8 more. I am not bringing my computer, mainly cause I don't want it to distract from the elephant rides through the rain forests, surfing off the coast of Southern India, searching for Tigers, and 30 hour train rides. You might think I am joking, but....I am completely serious about all that I just mentioned. With that being said, I would like to tell you about something that was a breakthrough for me.I also want to thank you for your thoughts and prayers for my dad. He is recovering quite well from his surgery. And, I can't say thank you enough for your support, encouragement, and prayers.
One of our students, that we have been tutoring, passed her exams...with "A" grades! In India, exams are extremely important. So, we were so stoked for her. Well, last week I got the chance to go to Pipe village at night to encourage my friends there, and it was a beautiful night. As I sat there under a thatched roof talking with them, there was a lighting storm in the far off distance. It was so peaceful, and so tranquil. After, we finished talking, Mamtha's family (the girl who passed her exams), invited me in for dinner. I was super honored and super stoked. I walked inside the cement pipe and sat down. The family cooked some delicious food for me and my Indian mentor that were there. But, I also must mention...it was the spiciest food I have had in India yet. As I sat in the middle of this pipe, I was sweating like crazy. The sweat poured down my face. My lips burned horribly. My nose ran with snot, and my eyes teared. Although the food was delicious, it was hard to get down simply because of the spice. But, I sat there, with the biggest smile on my face the whole time. For, the first time in my trip, I felt at home. I have never felt so comfortable in India in all my trips. The people, who I had been encouraging and visiting for the past 4 months almost, welcomed me in to their home and let me share in their celebration. I was honored..and I was humbled by the simplicity but power of there gift to me. I never would have thought years ago, that I would feel at home in a cement pipe, in the middle of India, as I ate the spiciest and most destructive food in the world. These people have become my family here. I love them so much. The kids you see in the picture are the kids I have been hanging out with for the past 4 months. They are what gets me through each week. They are the main reason I wake up in the morning. They have made me feel at home. Please think about them daily. Don't forget them. The reason I say this is a "breakthrough" for me is because I have never had the blessing to have so much consistency in one place before. They trust me, and I trust them. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for them...after all, they are family.
P.S. Just a disclaimer, people out here don't smile too often in photos, so don't think they aren't smiling in this photo cause they are taking it with me! :)
Hi Hughie,
ReplyDeleteHave a great trip! We're all praying for you... I like your description of your meal; glad you are having such a good time and bonding with the people there. Keep up the good work!
Barb--the Anaheimhillian...